Saturday, January 21, 2012

Best of 2011: Television Sensation

2011 was a good great year for television. There haven't been much unsuspected cancellations. The good shows stayed and the crappy ones left. That's how every Autumn should be like. I will complain though - the Fall 2011 line-up would have been much better had The Event been picked up for a second season. I'm still angry about that!


Person of Interest (PoI)

Creator: Jonathan Nolan
Starring: Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson, Taraji P. Henson
Television Gold: I watched the first three episodes and then kinda disconnected from it. It reminded me too much of Law & Order with the different crime every day. Over the Holidays, I decided to give the show a second chance. Glad I did! Taraji P. Henson is amazing as a cop, she has the moves and the dialogue narrowed down to a T. And unlike Law & Order, there is some form of continuous plotline but it's still too subtle for my liking. The element of science-fiction is what really draws me in.



Shameless

Creator: Paul Abbott
Starring: Emmy Rossum, Justin Chatwin, William H. Macy, and Joan Cusack
Television Gold: Shameless is like Roseanne on cocaine. Quite literally. This show is fucking hilarious and every episode gets increasingly better as you progress through the season. Emmy Rossum really grounds the series and her portrayal of a sister-mother-of-five is deserving of every award out there. If you haven't watched this yet, do it - Season two started not too long ago!!



American Horror Story

Creator: Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk
Starring: Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Taissa Farmiga, and Jessica Lange
Television Gold: Ryan Murphy - better know as the man behind Nip/Tuck and Glee - shocked the hell out of me when he announced his upcoming new series American Horror Story. It was to be a tale of a typical American family being haunted by the demons of their past. So the story changed through the summer and what was finally delivered last Fall was a brilliant showcase of a true Haunting; paranoïa, anxiety, fear, hallucinations. Taissa Farmiga and Jessica Lange steal the show, with Lange taking home this year's Golden Globe for her portrayal of shallow neighbour Constance Langdon.



Once Upon a Time

Creator: Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz
Starring: Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, Lana Parilla, and Jared Gilmore
Television Gold: I actually didn't like the premiere and swore off the show forever! But when American Horror Story ended, I needed something to watch. A lot of people were talking about this show so I caved and watched episode 2, then 3, then 4, and so on until I watched every aired episode. And now I'm hook. It reminds of Fable and I love the allusion's to LOST like the Evil Queen's address (108), the frozen time (8:15) and the whiskey (MacCutcheon's). It sometimes dabbles into cheesy territory - mostly the fairytale flashbacks - but I'm gonna give the first season a shot.



Notable Sitcoms:
  • 2 Broke Girls
  • New Girl


What was your favourite show of 2011?


Candles are out,
Eleven's Ink


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...