Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Infected: Blog Story (15)

fifteen: escape

"There you are!" I say, finding Felix in the backroom, filling up a large garbage bag with anything edible he can find. "I've been calling your name for ten minutes." I rest against the door frame and admire his beauty. Although his survival skills have turned me completly away, I can't resist looking at him as he flexes all those muscles.

Just then he looks up at me and his eyes catch mine. We linger there for a second. But then thoughts of David creep in and I look away, slightly embarassed.

"I'm just finishing up here. Is the front all ready?" He answers me. Felix puts in the last can of food and gets up from the tiled floor. I can't help but to realise how much he changed in the past two weeks.

"Um, yeah. I did everything you asked. We should be ready to leave before dawn" I turn to leave but not before Felix grabs my wrist and pulls me in for a kiss. I abandon myself to lust and my mouth answers back wildly. I kick the door shut and keep whatever happened in there to myself.

*****

Being in Romero Foods for thirteen days has been rough on my mental state. We've rationned the little food that was left and we have half a garbage bag left for our walk back to Del Rio. I've kept this from Felix but for the past four days, I have been vomiting every night. We aren't getting enough vitamins. Grams always made sure I ate right.

I join Felix by the back door just as he prepares the finishing touches of our escape plan. It consisted of blowing up the entrance, attracting the zombies to the noise. If all goes well, we'll be able to escape using the back door. I'm crossing my fingers.

Felix lights the makeshift fuse and as the spark travels, we arm ourselves. We managed to find several convenient weapons. I have a knife which I fashioned at the end of a stick and a metal baseball bat. Felix has an axe.

"You ready?" Felix asks me, his hand resting on the doorknob.

I'm not ready to go back out there. The spark nears the inflamable contraption we created, and i'm not ready for the next move. I take a deep breath just before the store bursts into flames. Felix shoves the door open and drags me outside with him.

The sun and moon share the sky and lights the desolate landscape in blue. There isn't a zombie in site.

"Come on!" Felix screams and we start running towards the highway, our legs barely capable of keeping up with our anticipation. I cry as as I run and don't bother to look back. I've left myself there. I will never be the same again.

*****

We're sitting on the grass, just on the outskirts of Del Rio. Felix is rubbing my back, comforting me. He understand how hard it is to go back. We both left our families behind.

"So how do you wanna do this?" Felix asks me, and gives me a peck on the cheek.

"I don't want to go by my house. I say we go in through Maybell forest, and then use Onco street to get to David's house. And we wait for morning." I answer, looking out at what used to be my hometown. Only ruins were left. From the highway, it looked like a ghost town.

"And you're still sure you want to do this?" Felix says with caution, and it makes me laugh a bit.

"I've come to terms with the fact that David is probably dead. But I need to know."

He starts rubbing my neck and soon i'm resting on top of him, his hands running freely through my hair.

"Promise me you'll never leave me, Felix. I don't want to be alone"

He leans in and kisses my forehead. My eyelids are heavy. I'm so tired.

"I promise you I will never leave your side."

My thoughts drift and soon i'm knocked cold. I don't dream. Haven't dreamed in three weeks.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...