Sunday, November 06, 2011

November 6th: Sublime 6

I'm just throwing it out there - I may be the biggest Sublime fan to ever live! Their cali-swag and often time hilarious lyrics grabs your attention from the get-go and doesn't loosen its grip! It will be hard to narrow it down to six, but I'll just have to try my best.



6. April 29, 1992 (miami)
This song is a retelling of the Rodney King Riots that happened in downtown L.A.
Funny tidbit: They actually say "April 26th" in the song by mistake. Oh stoners!



5. KRS One
This was Bradley's tribute to the band KRS-One that influenced his lifestyle and choice in music. I love the little "under the seas" xylophone part. My fave!



4. Don't Push
"Stolen from an African Land" God I love this song!!!



3. Wrong Way
Haha, by far the most insightful song about Sublime. What made them good, is that they turned everyone of their true story into a hit song. Look out for a young Bijou Phillips as Annie.



2. Waitin' for my Ruca
This song has the most meaning because it's the one that truly got me into Sublime and it always reminds me of my good friend Yasmina. "on the eastside..."



1. We're Only Gonna Die for our Own Arrogance
Yes, they are reefer-ing to the Homo Sapiens. Who knew stoners could be so thought-provoking? I know, I know, this song repeats it's hook over and over again. But faster everytime!!! Love it!



It's with great sorrow thought that I inform y'all that you (or I for that matter) will NEVER be able to see these great musicians play live. The lead singer and magicman Bradley Nowell died of a heroin overdose in 1996, just months after releasing their third studio album - the one that would make them a success.

Never fear - Sublime has regrouped earlier last year with Rome Ramirez. They couldn't call themselves Sublime because Nowell's estate forbid it so they changed the name to Sublime with Rome and released their first album last year which by the way, kicks major punk ass!!


R.I.P. Bradley.


Candles are out,
Eleven's Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...