Saturday, October 08, 2011

Halloween Special: Scary Movies

I always loved halloween. And I loved when their was month-long halloween specials. So why not partake in the celebrations and turn this blog upside down and spill its brains out!
Halloween is technically what made me love horror movies because it was the only time of year where I would watch them. Halfway, with hands covering my eyes, but still, I watched them. Then as I got older, I expanded my horror-viewing time from one month to twelve. :)

So in the spirit of ghouls and creeps, here are a few title suggestions for you!


Lady in White (1988)

This movie terrified me when I was younger. Of course, I wasn't allowed to watch horror movies at this time of my life, but I sneaked in my neighbours house where all the "grown-up" kids were spending halloween. Basically, it's about some kid trying to get a ring out of some well while some chick in white tries to scare 'em out. (okay so just rewatched the preview, no mention of a ring in well...hmmm) I vaguely remember this movie except that the friggin well-thingy creeped the shit outta me. The music, the lighting, dear lord, even the "ghostly" images scared me.

If you have young kids and want to get in the spirit of cruel scaring, then make 'em watch this movie!



1408 (2007)

Okay so I already blogged about this movie but it is very fitting in this category. 1408 is downright terrifying and it'll give you chills all over your body. It seriously delivers scares. John Cusack investigates a hotel room that is rumoured to be haunted. He finds out it is haunted. OMG, i'm scared just thinking about this ghost story! Do no watch alone, do not watch in the dark. Just sayin'.



Below (2002)

So being a fan of Darren Aronofsky AND David Twohy, I was so thrilled when I found out they were making a movie togheter. About a haunted sinking submarine no less. It even has a few key appearances by Zach Galifianakis which I didn't know about until I researched it. Makes me want to watch it again just for that. But anyhow, this movie really focuses more on the psyche of the scares and not actual physical scares although their are a few of those too. The whole aspect of claustrophobia also sets in because a haunted house, you can (possibly) escape. In a submarine that is below water, not a fucking chance.



House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Simply everything about this film rocked, from the clever use of Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams", to Lisa Loeb and James Marters' eye-catching cameos, without forgetting Famke Janssen's over-the-top portrayal of twisted Evelyn. The movie follows a group of "strangers" as they navigate an abandonned mental asylum once overlooked by Dr. Vannacutt - a sick deranged man who did ungodly things on his patients. Hick is, something still lingers in the deserted asylum...and it ain't happy.

This movie introduced the world to many young actors such as Ali Larter, Taye Diggs, and Bridgette Wilson.



Stir of Echoes (1999)

This one was playing on tv not too long ago and it brought back so much memories. I remember renting this one multiple times but never watching it because the cover and title alone scared me. Aha. But I did eventually watch it and boy, did that movie ever traumatize me. It uses flashbacks and "lucid dreams" to tell the story of a young girl haunting the fuck out of Kevin Bacon. Kathryn Erbe is really good as Bacon's wife and Illeana Douglas as her psychic sister. You have to watch this - just not alone.

Watch out for a young Jennifer Morrison (House, How I Met Your Mother, Once Upon A Time)



What Lies Beneath (2000)

I think this one will get approval from most. I don't know abynody who watched this and wasn't scared. Michelle Pfeiffer is haunted by visions of a girl and the bathroom scene made movie history as being one of the most suspensful scene ever. Everything leads up to jumps and shrills and I watched this one twice in theatres because it was just that darn good. But don't take my word for it, go watch it!!

 


Other notable ghost stories

The Haunting - Liam Neeson stars as a therapist hell bent on proving a theory right. Unfortunately, people die because of it. Includes creepy whispering children heads and moving statues. Aaack.
The Others - A chilling movie about perception and life after death. Nicole Kidman is the mother of children allergic to light. While waiting for her husband to come back from war, the family is terrorized by ghosts.
Poltergeist - They're heeeere. 'Nuff said.
The Sixth Sense - By far the most talked about ghost story ever. Bruce Willis stars as a therapist trying to help a little boy who sees dead people. *foggy breath*
Paranormal Activity - A lot of people told me it was scary while some laughed it off so I gave it a try. It's downright terrifying!! Who spends two hours awake, staring at their spouse like that??
The Amytiville Horror - I watched many a sequels of this movie when I was younger and all were hilarious. Then I read the book (thanks, Sarah!) and watched the remake. Remake is damn close to book. Book is horrifyingly scary!!! Hair raise on arm scary.


What's your favourite ghost story?

Candles are out,
Eleven's Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...