Thursday, January 06, 2011

My Obsession with Nights in White Satin

EARLY CHILDHOOD.

I got up every morning to the sound of Majic 100, Oldies 1310, or Chez 106. Even to this day, when I hear songs that greeted me in the morning, it brings an instant sense of nostalgia. I call them morning songs. One of them that played often, as it was on playlists from all three channels, was Nights in White Satin.


It was the perfect song to wake you up slowly but surely. A slow, melodic start swith somewhat of a crescendo towards the middle. By the time I was done my Frosted Flakes or my toast with PB&J, I was wide awake and ready to start my day.

My mom is a passionate singer and when we we're younger she would often invent songs with words my siblings and I would randomly shout or one word remarks. And she liked NiWS and sang along each time it played.


ADULTHOOD.

Not too long ago I was with my sister and we were driving around and I had the "Cause I love you" part in my head and I could not remember the name of the song. My sister couldn't remember either and it was driving me bonkers. I told her about the Morning Songs, and she agreed: it was almost the song of our childhood.

I couldn't get the song out of my head and so I asked my cousin Katie if she knew of the song. Trying to find a song with so little lyrics was difficult and I didn't remember the obvious lyrics: the title. lmao. I searched on youtube while we continued sharing songs that we liked and then by chance I found it.

I listened to it obsessively for approximately an hour. It reminded me of a simpler time when responsabilities weren't even a shadow and thoughts of "my future" weren't even shaped. I had finally found the song that I kept humming for a week.

Time passed and the song kinda slipped out of my mind until I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween II. Although the movie is kinda dissapointing and the ending is ambigous (did she or didn't she?), the placement of NiWS in the opening sequence is brilliant. I am positif the song also inspired the white horse and Mrs. Myers' white outfit.

So after viewing the movie and it renewing my wanting to hear NiWS, I searched YouTube for a more modern version, a cover. And I found a good one by Declan Galbraith. Here it is:



Everyone has a favourite song, what's yours?

Candles are out,
Eleven's Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...